On 23/06/2006 6:24 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
Out of the box the DL 320 G4 ships with a riser card that has 2 pci express
slots.  At least that is what they are supposed to be, we haven't tried
them.
If you only do the pci express then the adapter you want is the Intel
Pro 1000 PT  either the single port or the dual port, and make sure
it is the "server adapter" not the "desktop adapter"  (the models carry
the same model number but different descriptions, which is infuriating)

We ended up in this same situation, and went down the Intel PCI express NIC path (Intel Pro/1000PT). Be advised that, at this stage, the driver in both 6.0 and 6.1 -RELEASE does not support this card, but support is present in 7-CURRENT.

That being said, with the official Intel driver (v6.0.5, not sure if it's released yet), I was able to replace the standard em driver in 6.0, build a new kernel, and bring the server up and survive some pre-deployment load testing without any hiccups.

Be aware that while the riser card has two PCI Express slots, one is half-height, and the Intel NICs (at least the one we received) are a full card.

The onboard Broadcom NICs weren't worth the PCBs they were printed on in terms of stability -- we were seeing the same hard lockups as Ted and didn't have the luxury of time to spend fiddling with it!! From what I gather from Ted's previous investigations, there's various work-arounds in the Linux driver that work around some shortcomings in the hardware itself...

Regards
Antony