Just performed a from scratch installation of FreeBSD from a snapshot off
snapshots.jp.freebsd.org (dated January 2 or 3, 2003), and when building
stuff from ports have suddenly gotten the out of inodes message =(

The install was done onto a 1.6gb harddrive, and was a reinstall of an already
functional 4.7-stable machine, with the same partitioning settings, which is
what makes this so strange.  I didn't change anything in the
partitioning/slice editors, so whatever settings I used were the default.

The results of df -ih are as follows:

Filesystem    Size   Used  Avail Capacity iused ifree %iused  Mounted on
/dev/ad0s1a    89M    44M    37M    54%    1535  9983   13%   /
/dev/ad0s1e    79M   4.0K    72M     0%       2 10236    0%   /tmp
/dev/ad0s1f   886M   620M   195M    76%  107214  6448   94%   /usr
/dev/ad0s1g    93M    92K    86M     0%      44 12114    0%   /usr/home
/dev/ad0s1h    99M   6.1M    85M     7%     463 12463    4%   /usr/local
/dev/ad0s1d    99M   406K    90M     0%     120 12678    1%   /var
procfs        4.0K   4.0K     0B   100%      41   955    4%   /proc
/dev/ad1s1    490M   2.0K   451M     0%       1 62973    0%   /usr/obj

As you can see I'm using up 94% of my /usr partition's inodes just standing
still, and only have around 6500 free, compared with almost 110000 used!  The
/usr partition does house both a source and ports tree, and as you can see I
utilize a second hard-drive to build my world.

Unfortunately I don't have a copy of an inode comparison with the old install,
but I do know that I had never gotten that message merely building
portupgrade, or even when building two things at once.  The space taken up by
files is about the same, however, when compared to the older setup.

Those things said, I guess my question is, for a low use gateway is 6500 free
inodes enough; am I causing myself grief over nothing? (By low use I mean it
does nothing but serves webpages and performs firewalling/NAT duties for the
household; no mail or news handling, or anything like that).

I'd considered for a moment doing a reinstall, but I'm not sure if it's the
small size of the partition/hard drive that is limiting their number, or if
perhaps they were created with an overly large size for a partition that
houses such a large number of small files.  Additionally, now that the
installation is finished, the only partitions that should be experiencing any
growth should be /var and /usr/local, so the inode limit should only be
tested during a port's build, shouldn't it?

Anyhow, could someone more familiar with such matters weigh in?

Thanks,
Troubled in Texas