HI

This problem is that the /var/db/pkg/pkgdb.db has been damaged. What you need to do is to build a new pkgdb.db file
First cd /var/db/pkg save the old pkgdb by
mv pkgdb.db -> pkgdb.old
then you run pkgdb -u

after that you should be up and running again.

Psadi

jan gestre skrev:
On 7/3/06, Bill Moran <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

"E. J. Cerejo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm running FreeBSD 6.1 release and after upgrading portupgrade using
portupgrade itself I'm getting this message (message bellow) or similar one
everytime I run one of the portupgrade commands like pkgdb -u or -F,
portversion -L = or portupgrade itself. Tells me that the database needs to
be rebuild, I run portsdb -uU and I get this same error message (message
bellow) it rebuilds with portsdb -fuU but still get this same message.

> Error Message:
>
> [Updating the pkgdb <format:bdb_btree> in /var/db/pkg ...
/var/db/pkg/pkgdb.db: unexpected file type or format -- Invalid argument; rebuild needed] [Rebuilding the pkgdb <format:bdb_btree> in /var/db/pkg ...
[Updating the pkgdb <format:bdb_btree> in /var/db/pkg ...
/var/db/pkg/pkgdb.db: unexpected file type or format -- Invalid argument; rebuild needed] [Rebuilding the pkgdb <format:bdb_btree> in /var/db/pkg ... /var/db/pkg/pkgdb.db: unexpected file type or format -- Invalid argument:
Cannot update the pkgdb!]: Cannot update the pkgdb!]
> Command failed [exit code 1]: /usr/local/sbin/pkgdb -aFQ
>
> any clues on how to solve this?

When was the last time you did a cvsup?

Portupgrade was hosed for a few days there, if your ports tree previously
installed the hosted version, portupgrade won't work.

If this is the case, the solution is:
1) cvsup ports
2) pkg_delete portupgrade
3) cd /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade && make install clean

Portupgrade will then start working again.

i always do a cvsup before upgrading the ports but i got the same problem,
pkg_delete did not work coz it can't see the portupgrade version that is
installed so i did a make deinstall and make reinstall instead but with the
same result, any idea how will i solve this?

TIA