Danial Thom wrote:
You clowns with your diskless servers just crack
me up. Everyone brags about their years of uptime
on their servers, yet you just can't put up a
firewall or router without a disk. What, are you
still using mfm drives or something?
My motives have nothing to do with reliability; I am not philosophically opposed to disks or moving parts. I'm just reaching the point more often lately where I'm looking at:

1) Form factor (there are organizations where real estate holds almost as much premium as department funds).

2) Heat output (I just had 2 more 2-ton mini-split A.C. units installed -- that'll hold me for a while, but at the rate we're expanding, I don't want to be faced with a situation again where I'm looking at a box doing a small job like running BIND spitting out 1,000 BTU's/hour)

3) Power consumption (why draw more than necessary?)

It seems that more and more my bottlenecks have nothing to do with performance or reliability, but rather physical facility management. It all adds up.

--- DW <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Philippe Lang wrote:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Hi all,

Just doing some early morning brainstorming,
and my crazy thought of
the day is this:
My life would be so much easier if I could
just get rid of my
stupid PIX firewalls, and replace them what
I know and love:
FreeBSD. It's not that the PIX's have been
causing me
problems or anything like that, it's just
that I believe in
streamlining whenever possible, and since
we've already
exterminated Microsoft in my server room for
at least 3
years, the only thing left that's not
running FreeBSD are my
appliances (firewalls and switches) and 2
leftover legacy
servers still running Redhat that haven't
been worth the
effort to migrate to FreeBSD. I'm a one-man
shop, and I can
survive using the PIX IOS when I have to,
but would just as
soon use BSD if I could. Questions:

1) If I did this, I would probably only do
it if I could
figure out how to rack up some diskless
servers to my 2-post
communications rack. Any thoughts on
hardware candidates, etc.?
2) If I did this, maybe it would be wiser to
go with OpenBSD
instead, since it is known for security?

3) Any good tutorials on setting up a
diskless servers for
Free/OpenBSD?
4) Any other considerations?

5) Am I just being stupid and should I just
keep my PIX's
going? I know, I know, if it ain't broke,
don't fix it.
Hi,

Maybe a good start for you would be to have a
look at http://www.m0n0.ch/wall/.
WOW!!!!!! This is exactly what I was looking
for and more! Can't wait to start trying it out! Thanks!

Cheers,

"[EMAIL PROTECTED]"