On Sunday, December 29, 2002, at 04:00  PM, Scott Robbins wrote:

On Sun, Dec 29, 2002 at 09:28:31PM -0500, John Bleichert wrote:
Last year (when I wasn't in the market for a laptop) I found a
site/manufacturer which sold Athlon- and Pentium-based laptops with
Free/OpenBSD and/or Linux pre-installed. Now that I'm in the market
I can't find the site to save my life. Has anybody seen such a site
anywhere? I thought I found the site linked from freebsd.org but no
luck.
I know Walmart sells some laptops (or is it only desktops--don't
have time to check at this instant) with some version of Linux installed.

If you do find out, please post the site.
Thanks

--

Scott Robbins
Scott,

You would be referring to the bastardized linux thing called Lindows. We were interested in at work for a test and horked up the $99.00. What a waste! Mandrake 9.0 is a better desktop distro. It biggest selling point is that it's running Transmeta's CPU's and it's only $350.00 for their "high end" device. You'd be as well of with one of the mail stations since you'd at least get some support if something breaks.

I know that the Sun reps at work all carry HP laptops loaded with Intel/Solaris. They have told me that they normally load with disks burned from the ISO's on their own web site (freely downloadable) with out any problems. This leads me to think that your odds of having unix drivers for the device available would be rather high.

HTH,

Jimi