On Fri, 21 Jul 2006, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

        I installed  FreeBSD 6.1  expecting it to give me the maximum
capability, but it didn't give me the  X windows  capability.  Was
everything needed for it put together, but  X  was properly linked
where it should be?  Is there a way that I can test for this (where
should  X  be linked)?
        I got several "error code 1" messages while installing it.
What does this indicate (other that an error occurred)?  Can the
message be made more informative?  If so, please do
        There seems to be a later  FreeBSD 6.1  available, I will
try to get and install it.

I just realized I did not answer you question. If you are building X make sure you use the xorg port that includes all the necessary parts. I prefer:

setenv PACKAGEROOT ftp://ftp<n>.FreeBSD.org
pkg_add -r xorg

This will work. If you want to build X from source include the tail of the build and you can probably get specific suggestions. All my workstations are far to slow/small to make this an option for me. Sorry - I think I missed the boat with my first post.