On Mon, 31 Jul 2006, Gerard Seibert wrote:

Xiao-Yong Jin wrote:

But one can't rely on that.  You'll definitely see more than one ip
associated with my laptop, if I move it around.

A more reliable way that I can think of is generating a unique ID
number when a system finishes installation or upon the first boot.
However, it may involve some additional privacy problem.  What do you
think?

Unquestionable a privacy problem. Perhaps even illegal in some
jurisdictions without the end users knowledge and permission.

'k, I'm confused on this one ... could you elaborate on why this is a privacy issue?

----