On Sat, 4 Jan 2003, Andreas Ntaflos wrote:
> PL> [Please CC me in your reply]
> > Can anything be gathered from the attached sysconsole messages?  Oh, also,
> > is there a tcsh command line I can run that will "tee" messages both to the
> > console and to a file, such as `startx &2> startx.out` or something? Thx!!
> For that I would use script(1). I think with tcsh it is not possible to
> direct stdout and stderr to both a file and the console.

Great idea!  I'll try to remember and use it one of the next times...

> > box 1743 ~ # startx
> > xauth: (argv):1:  bad display name "...r.com:0" in "list" command
> > xauth: (argv):1:  bad display name "...r.com:0" in "add" command
> > XFree86 Version 4.2.1 / X Window System
> > (protocol Version 11, revision 0, vendor release 6600)
>
> I am afraid I don't use either Gnome nor Galeon nor GAIM, so I don't think I
> can help you with that, but you should set your IP address and hostname in
> /etc/hosts to avoid that xauth errormessage.

I did man hosts but it doesn't tell you exactly what the lines of info in
the /etc/hosts file are *used* for.  Nor does it address people who get
their IP dynamically!

>       As for the rest, you sould probably check your jdk1.3.1 installation
> or something like that. This libjavaplugin_oji.so-thingy is something I've
> encountered too, but with the native FreeBSD version of Opera. Don't really
> have a clue on that.
>
> HTH (a little)
> regards

I've been using Galeon (browser) and note that it is far far faster than
plain old Mozilla.  Out of the blue the Flash plugin works but I get no
audio and interactive flash often doesn't work right or it crashes the
galeon-bin binary.  Java I've given up on until it's an all-in-one pkg!!

--
Peter Leftwich
President & Founder, Video2Video Services