Dan Nelson wrote:

In the last episode (Aug 02), DAve said:
Dan Nelson wrote:
In the last episode (Aug 01), DAve said:
We are in the process of getting a good hammering of spam. I've
been watching my mail gateways and they are keeping up well enough.
But looking at top I am seeing a lot of processes with state of
piperd.
Piperd means the process is waiting on a read from a pipe.  You can
use lsof to determine what process is at the other end of the pipe
(run lsof, find your process, find the PIPE fd, then find the other
process with the same 0xXXXXXXXX value).
Excellent, thank you. May I ask where you found that info. I looked
but came up empty. I'd like to know the meanings of some other states
not mentioned in the man pages. Such as nanslp, *GIANT, kqread, etc.

The only place wait states are documented is the source, basically. There are many hundreds of them. States with an asterisk are mutexes
To find the code related to piperd:

find /usr/src/sys -name "*.c" | xargs grep -n piperd

Or you could search the archive of questions@ where many of the more common states where elucidated just a couple months ago and Giorgos provided a good description of the UPPER CASE states.

--Alex