So, I reinstalled w2k, first trying the repair option, which doesn't
provide the option to change the file system format from ntfs to fat,
then did a complete reinstall, formatting in fat32. Guess what? It did
not overwrite the boot sector, the original freebsd boot menu is still
there and still works. In fact, previously, it showed two questions
marks for the f1 option (w2k), now it shows dos for the f1 option. I
certainly wasn't expecting that.
Anyway, just thought I'd share that bit,  it was something of a surprise
to me, I expected it to overwrite the boot sector like all previos
versions of winblows.
Regards,
Chip