On Tue, 8 Aug 2006, andrew clarke wrote:

On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 04:14:50PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

right now, we are at ~200 hosts checking in, from various time zones (see
http://bsdstats.hub.org/bsd_statistics.php for countries that have checked
in so far) ... so, even at month end, taking into consideration time zones,
I don't expect a major hit ... now, if we get to 10's of thousands of hosts,
which I'd *love*, then I may worry, but by then, I'll have a Dual-Core
Dual CPU server in place that I can move the whole thing over onto ...

This is good, but what is stopping someone with an axe to grind from
writing a rogue script to report fictional results?

Unfortunately, nothing ... and, also unfortunately, after extensive discussions on this list with others about possible ways to avoid it, there really isn't anything short of a 'required registration procedure' that can be done for that ...

that said, someone from Germany tried that this morning, submitting 41 'hosts' that were quite obviously bogus (FreeBSD 8.x anyone?) and were easily removed from the system ...

----