Quoting Andreas Widerøe Andersen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> (no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging
> symbols found)...
> Program received signal SIGPIPE, Broken pipe.
> 0x2810b1e8 in writev () from /usr/lib/libc.so.4
> (gdb)

And there's your problem.  Some library did not link to libc properly.  Do a
backtrace and a step, it will tell you which module is failing.

I've had numerous problems like this in the past (mostly with mod_php though),
recompiling the modules that gave errors sorted them out.

I doubt this is a mod_ssl issue.