Keith Phipps wrote:

My questions really come down to this; I'll be working with 4.x and 6.1 boxes. Are there any global issues with them I should be concerned about, something you guys as admins have to deal with regularly. The boss also said something that confused me, said I'd need to make the builds and compile php, perl, and mysql into the Kernel. I've never done much Kernel work (much, lets start with any) but it's always been my understanding that with BSD if I wanted to install PHP, PERL, and MySQL on a box, I'd just pkg_add it. I've never heard of it actually being compiled in the kernel.

I think that you misunderstood... mod_perl and mod_php can be compiled into Apache web server, though.

Right now my biggest resources have to be google and the O'Reilly book "Essential Sys. Admin." but I'd like to have a reference guide more suited to only the FreeBSD platform. Any recommendations on this as well?

I found 'AbsoluteBSD' by Michael Lucas useful. I also run OpenBSD on my Internet-exposed web and mail servers, and found 'Absolute OpenBSD' by Michael Lucas equally useful.

--
-wittig http://www.robertwittig.com/
.       http://robertwittig.net/