On Thu, 7 Sep 2006 08:42:11 -0400, Robert Huff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> >  anybody seen this behavior before? or have a clue?
>
>         I don't know if this is your problem, but I have seen similar
> issues.
>         _In my case_, CUPS as ported does not like the permissions on
> /dev/lpt0*.  They default to "crw-------"; setting them to
> "crw-rw-rw-" makes the parallel printer appear.
>         There should be a way to tall devfs to change those
> permissions
> automatically, but I haven't been able to figure it out.
>

>                                         Robert Huff

I have this in my /etc/devfs.rules file on a system successfully using
CUPS with a parallel port printer:

[localrules=10]
add path 'lpt*' mode 0660 group cups

(I also have 'devfs_system_ruleset="localrules"' in my /etc/rc.conf
file.)

That makes sure that CUPS can access the lpt* devices (including the
lpt*.ctl devices).  Mode 0660 also ensures that not everyone can access
lpt*, just root and members of the cups group (i.e., CUPS).

Cheers,

Paul.
--
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]