On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 01:13:24PM +1100, David Gerard wrote:
> This is probably really simple, but I couldn't see it in the handbook ...
>
> I've plugged a umass device (a camera) into a USB port. What do I do now to
> get access to the data?

You need to have usbd running (usbd_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf), and
have some options in the kernel:

device          scbus                   # SCSI bus
device          pass                    # SCSI passthrough device
device          da                      # SCSI disk device (for umass)

Maybe doing a '# kldload umass' with a stock GENERIC kernel will also
work, I don't know.

At any rate, when you plug it in, the kernel should discover a new
da device, da0 in my case since I don't have any other SCSI disks:

Jan  1 20:01:26 firsa /kernel: umass0: SanDisk Corporation ImageMate CompactFlash USB,
rev 1.10/0.09, addr 2
Jan  1 20:01:26 firsa /kernel: umass0: Get Max Lun not supported (STALLED)
Jan  1 20:01:27 firsa /kernel: da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
Jan  1 20:01:27 firsa /kernel: da0: <SanDisk ImageMate II 1.30> Removable Direct
Access SCSI-2 device
Jan  1 20:01:27 firsa /kernel: da0: 650KB/s transfers
Jan  1 20:01:27 firsa /kernel: da0: 122MB (250881 512 byte sectors: 64H 32S/T 122C)

I was then able to do something like

# mount -t msdos /dev/da0s1 /foo

To access the data. Note that my CF has partitions (?!) which took me a while
to figure out. It may be that your camera doesn't need that in which case
you need to do 'mount /dev/da0 /foo' of course.

Note that I have a card reader in which I plug my compact flash card;
some digital cameras don't have umass access but need their own protocol,
for which gphoto is likely to have support (as another poster alread said).

HTH,

--Stijn

--
"Coca-Cola is solely responsible for ensuring that people - too stupid to know
not to tip half-ton machines on themselves - are safe. Forget parenting - the