On Sep 9, 2006, at 11:52 PM, Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:

I have a machine that is acting up. It was doing this a couple weeks ago and I replaced the motherboard thinking that maybe the physical ethernet port was going bad (connector or chip). The new motherboard is starting to act up the same way after a week or two of running fine and I am wondering if something else might be the issue.

I forgot to mention that the MB at issue is the Tyan S2850 single opteron MB. This particular server had its MB replaced a week or two ago for the same sort of issue on bge1 that got progressively worse and I eventually turned it off in the BIOS. Then a while later it started seeming to freeze up with this same issue as listed below and I replaced the MB, which is starting to show the same issue.

I have a few other servers with the same MB and they have never had any issues.

Chad

After the uname I list the stuff from the syslog before it goes off the net and my auto rebooter power strip thinks it has crashed and forces a reboot (which I have now turned off so I can go in and look more next time it happens). This did not happen for the last week or two and all of a sudden happened about 5 times today...

# uname -a
FreeBSD whitwell.shire.net 6.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE #1: Fri May 19 01:50:39 MDT 2006 [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/obj/usr/src/ sys/WHITWELL i386
#

Sep  9 20:49:02 whitwell kernel: bge0: PHY read timed out
Sep  9 20:49:02 whitwell last message repeated 3 times
Sep  9 20:49:02 whitwell kernel: bge0: link state changed to DOWN
Sep  9 20:49:04 whitwell kernel: bge0: PHY read timed out

What does this message mean? PHY read timed out? I did a google on it but the issues were various other things.

Could this be a bad cable?

Thanks
Chad

---