On Sep 12, 2006, at 9:20 PM, Jonathan Horne wrote:

what is the proper way to disable fortune? i deleted the .login file from my
homedir... and it still runs at login!

Depends on what shell you are using, but with tcsh moving ~/.login to ~/dot.login ended fortune for me via ssh login.

What I don't much care for is the large /etc/motd which ships stock with FreeBSD. So that and /etc/hosts are the only files I hack and override manually when using mergemaster.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, [EMAIL PROTECTED]