Andy Greenwood wrote:

I need a CLI text editor I can use over ssh, which does NOT append
newlines to the end of files as I save them. I am using this to edit
PHP files, and my PHP doesn't like newlines outside the last ?>. ee
and vi both do so, I tried nano which also does the same. I haven't
installed emacs to try that yet, since the man page says that it also
does the same thing. Does anyone have any ideas?

Emacs most certainly can save files without newlines. I don't see any option in my .emacs to force this behaviour so assume it works out of the box, nor can I find any reference in the man page which says it does add newlines. OTOH, emacs may be overkill if you don't already use it.

I would have thought vi would have an option to stop this happening, but don't see one.

I'm surprised at PHP barfing on "extra" newlines, but then I've never used it.

--Alex