On Sep 18, 2006, at 3:16 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Has anyone configure imap-uw to accept plaintext passwords? The options listed
in the doumentation do not work. I have tried various combinations of
PASSWDTYPE, SSLTYPE, and WITH_SSL_AND_PLAINTEXT with no success.

Or is there a better imap/pop daemon to use? Thanks for any help.

I've switched from uw-imap to dovecot recently, and I'm quite pleased with the switch. Dovecot is configured using a plain text file, enabling and disabling features is a matter of editing the file and SIGHUP'ing dovecot, instead of recompiling like you have to do with uw-imap.

You can run dovecot in daemon mode, or invoke it from inetd. I run it in daemon mode.

Note that with dovecot you can easily configure it to accept plaintext on a given interface while forcing secure authentications on another. This may be useful in some cases, depending on network topology.

-jav