On 2006 Sep 18 , at 16:25, Jeff Cross wrote:

I am trying to run FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE on a Dell PowerEdge 850 with some booting issues. I have searched the archives and found someone having a
problem with the machine "booting too fast" but my problem is a little
different.  My machine hangs up after the following line is displayed
during boot:

acd0: CDROM <TEAC CD-ROM CD-224E-N/3.AB> at ata0-master UDMA33

I have to poke the machine in the eye to get it back.  The keyboard and
everything locks up at that point.  The only way I can get the machine
to boot up successfully is to use option 5 from the boot menu, Verbose
Logging.

Is there a way around this?  I know this is ghetto but just being able
to make the machine use that boot menu option as the default would work
fine I believe.  It would ultimately be nice to not have this issue on
boot but the verbose logging option seems to boot fine so that would
work for the interim.

I am attaching my dmesg output from the verbose boot.  I can't seem to
get anything in messages or dmesg from one of the failed boot attempts.

I do not know what's causing this, but for the meantime, if you edit /boot/defaults/loader.conf and copy the line that reads:

verbose_loading="NO"

Paste this line into /boot/loader.conf, (or /boot/loader.conf.local, depending upon your setup...) and change NO to YES. This will force verbose loading, always. I don't know if this will do everything IDENTICAL to boot option 5, however, when looking at the Forth code for it, it appears that it will, on first glance (but I'm a bit rusty on that...)

Any help is greatly appreciated.  If more information is required to
troubleshoot this further, please let me know.

Good luck. I hope that people still read this thread, to help diagnose your dmesg, and find your problem. This is really just a temporary fix.

[dmesg trimmed for brevity]

Cheers,

--
ADAM David Alan Martin