On Thursday 09 January 2003 05:03 pm, BSD baby wrote:
> > I am looking to buy a laser printer for < $500 but need
> > some reccomendations on which one is decent for home/office
> > use. I had seen the HP 1200, it looks ok, will it last?
>
> Yes and it works VERY well with FreeBSD.
> It handles PostScript files directly.  No GhostScript needed.

I print to 1200's 4si's 5si's from bsd.  The 4si's and 5si's are probably THE
most durable printer that I have ever seen.  They are rather big and heavy
but they can push alot of paper.

Make sure to inquire about the last time the fuser had been replaced before
you purchase one.  You can purchase maint. kits for around 150 bux.  That
cheap printer might end up costing you another 150 bux if you aren't careful.
Fusers get scratched or go bad but it's nice to at least have a general idea
when the next replacement is due.

Matt