Is it possible to boot the machine using a 'live' freebsd silesystem via cd? Then setup the /mnt , setup the new filesystems, then use restore to briung the real data to the disk?

I guess my question really should have been, if you install a new disk, or re newfs a disk, how do you start the machine, a freebsd boot disk? (without installing freebsd to the machine that the restore are going to overwrite anyway!).

-Grant

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter A. Giessel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Grant Peel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "freeBSD" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Sent: Friday, October 06, 2006 11:47 AM
Subject: Re: Disaster recovery.

On 2006/10/06 5:34, Grant Peel seems to have typed:
so the question is ... if I have the dumps on one machine, and I just
installed a new hard drive on another, in a nutshell, what are the steps to restore the failed server. Can I use the FreeBSD 'live' filesystem? Is ther
a step by step (that I have not found) in the handbook somewhere?

Honestly, the man pages are your friend in these situations, especially
the restore man page:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=restore&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+6.1-RELEASE&format=html

See the "-r" flag especially, which includes a brief example.  If you
are restoring from another machine, things get a bit more interesting
though, which is why I always like to keep around a Freesbie disk.
http://www.freesbie.org/
Its nice to have a full OS on a CD available for use.