Hi,

        I have been seeing scp xfers failing mysteriously with a "Corrupted MAC
on input" error. This occurred more or less sporadically but for huge files it
was sure to occur. I suspected the ethernet card and got it changed.

        Next, I suspected RAM since I used to get failed compiles saying
"internal compiler error" and sefault. This had nothing to do with the other
problems since if I issue compile again it used to go thro'.

        And the md5 and sha1 commands never worked. They always used to give
corrupted results. Then I just gave up and moved on. I tried installing gentoo
on that machine and did a memtest and it went fine.

        Anyway coming to the point, I am running 6.0 FreeBSD.

        I have come across the following cases.

        a) A person in Sweden had trouble with HTTPS and I solved it by
reinstalling OpenSSL (check the archives, I think it was more than two months
ago)
        b) Recently two persons had severe trouble with OpenSSH

        At last I tried the same medicine I have been prescribing to others and
with God's grace :-) , my MD5 and SHA1 started matching...

        I have other machines in LAN running OpenBSD and Debian. I try matching
the checksums with those boxes.

        And the only common factor and culprit is ... yes, OpenSSL.

        I urge all of you to make life simpler with this.

# cd /usr/ports/security/openssl
#make deinstall (it may fail, no problem :-)
#make reinstall

        Enjoy guys! :-)

        I might fix the real problem if I get time. Or one of u can too.

        What makes me wonder is how come this problem has gone unnoticed for so
long...

        regards,
        Girish