Louis LeBlanc wrote:
Strange behavior I'm getting since I last did a mergemaster and
MAKEDEV in /dev:

cannot create /dev/null: permission denied

$ cat ConfigFvwmMenus > /dev/null
-bash: /dev/null: Permission denied

$ ls -l /dev/null
crw-------  1 root  wheel    2,   2 Jan 11 10:00 /dev/null
My /dev/null is crw-rw-rw-.
Don't know how it happened, but it sure seems like a simple permission
problem.
chmod 666 /dev/null should fix it (I would think).

$ file /dev/null
/dev/null: character special (2/2)

I am running 4.6.2-RELEASE #5.  What did I miss here?  I'm beginning
to wonder if this may be causing some of my other problems with fvwm
menu/keystroke xterm execution.
Obviously, it will cause problems any time someone other than root tries
to write to /dev/null

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies