Assuming you have the right cable, make sure you have it connected
correctly.  I had a problem like this once, and it turned out that I
had put the cable on backwards.  I had connected the end of the cable
meant for the motherboard to the device (a disk, iirc), and visa-versa.

I switched the cable around, and then it worked fine.  Of course, I
didn't discover this until after a few years, while I was in the
process of replacing that PC!

!

That made me go and check my machines here...

--

Juha