Just a quick "me too". I have been seeing the exact same behavior ever since gamin was shoved down our throats as a better replacement for fam. But since nobody else complained, I figured it was just my system. Whatever gamin is doing, it is not showing up in lsof, but the file system is still busy. I did try tweaking my ~/.gaminrc to switch to polling for the mount points in question, but this didn't help. Oddly enough, sometimes, maybe one time out of ten, gamin will not exhibit this strange behavior. It will just let me unmount without any problems.

- Bartosz