Andrew Pantyukhin wrote:
On 12/31/06, Matthew Seaman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:

> All the best for the New Year to everyone. By the way, would it be
> possible for this list to introduce a subject prefix like [FBSDQ] or
> something along this line? It would make sorting much easier. Some people
> put the list address in CC so with MUAs like SquirrelMail it is a bit
> difficult to filter the messages.

A very effective method of filtering is to look for the List-ID: header.
Most mail software won't display it to you without persuasion, but
for [EMAIL PROTECTED] it looks like this:

[...]
[...]

Mailing lists should nowadays include a List-ID: header in the mails they send out. [RFC 2919 if you're that interested] Sorting messages based on it is, I find, generally the most accurate way to classify them correctly.

It's very easy to do in procmail -- too obvious to bother giving an
example. In thunderbird, you have go into Tools:Message Filters, then
hit New to create a new rule, then choose 'Customize' from the 'Subject'
pull-down.  Unfortunately squirrelmail is not a software package I know
much about, but I'd expect any reasonably competent e-mail client to
be able to filter on arbitrary mail headers without too much trouble.

In gmail it's undocumented, but you can use listid
search operator to search and filter by List-ID.
This is untried as I only use squirrelmail when I am behind draconian firewalls that dont allow imap or ssh and usually use procmailfor filtering, however in the options menu, select filters then new, then choose to match a header that contains
*List-Id:* User questions <freebsd-questions.freebsd.org>
and move it to where you want it moved to. Like i say untested but
I cant see why it wont work.

Vince