There are various VPN solutions available depending on your needs for the network so no one answer will cover everything.

Currently I am using OpenVPN with great success and resonable security as well. Homepage: http://www.openvpn.org One of the nice things about this solution is you can customize the OpenVPN GUI (http://openvpn.se/). Even my most computer cluess employee's can use this.

There are various IPSEC solutions but you run into a client issue in a lot of cases for the Windows side.

Wojciech Puchar wrote:
could You put me to some manual about configuring any king of VPN (with encryption at least, preferable compression too) with windows machines as clients and FreeBSD as servers.

i used VPN's many times but always with unix on both sides and used vtun which works great. unfortunately there is no vtun for windows.

thanks

Cheers,

Jeff