The situation is as follows:

Physical memory is 128M, OS is FreeBSD 4.4.
My C++ simulation code mallocs large amount of memory. When running, I found "top" shows SIZE is 514M, RES is 176M. Then the code dumpped a core. The code itself should have no problem. It's not complicated and it runs very well when running shorter.

Top shows:
Mem: 180M Active, 21M Inact, 32M Wired, 13M Cache, 35M Buf, 656K Free
Abort trap - core dumped
. PID USERNAME PRI NICE SIZE RES STATE TIME WCPU CPU COMMAND
66351 dxu -22 0 514M 127M swread 0:11 36.96% 27.39% simulation

limit shows:
cputime unlimited
filesize unlimited
datasize 524288 kbytes
stacksize 65536 kbytes
coredumpsize unlimited
memoryuse unlimited
descriptors 1064
memorylocked unlimited
maxproc 531

I tried to increase the above limits but failed. They seem to be already the maximum.

Should I add more physical memory (if so should I reinstll OS)?

Can I just set some parameters(what?) and recompile kernel and increase these limits ?

Thanks a lot!

Frank