On Jan 12, 2007, at 1:03 PM, Guido Demmenie wrote:
ntpd crashes every once in a while, sometimes with days in between sometimes within a few hours.

And the error I see in my /var/log/messages is:
Jan 12 14:21:34 rottnic kernel: pid 516 (ntpd), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)

My server is in the pool of pool.ntp.org and there is mentioned that I might have to raise my ulimit, but as shown below it is already unlimited as far as I can see.

I've been running ntpd as part of the pool for years on FreeBSD 4.11 & 5.5; ntpd will stay running for at least months at a time if your hardware is OK. Seeing segfaults suggests a RAM problem; try running a memory tester like Memtest86.

--
-Chuck