Hi, Duncan,

Thanks for your help!

From: Duncan Anker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Yes, 2G - 1 is the maximum size a signed int can hold ... mind you, any
program needing more that 2G of memory really should be implementing
on-disk storage of data for itself.
Thanks for your suggestion. In this case I should probably do so. But I have some other cases that may use other's simulation package which is hard to change due to existing software architecture.

> >You can also tune this at boot time by adding them to the file
> >/boot/loader.conf. e.g.
It may be the case that you cannot specify the value like that in
loader.conf, in which case we must do the math ourselves.
I put in 1073741824 which is 1G, booted the GENERIC kernel. Not worked. Strange.

Read this, it may help:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/adding-swap-space.html
Cool! I created an additional swapfile according to its instruction. Everything is smooth. Just one thing not quite understood.

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/usr/swap0 bs=1024k count=64

It actually created a 64GB swapfile. As we knew virtual memory space on 32bit bsd cannot exceed 2GB, is 64GB for multiple processes/programs, or multiple users? Therefore I just delibrately change it to a smaller value that my harddisk can hold (32GB). Not sure if this is a documentation problem in the handbook. Interesting.

Frank