[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On 29 Jan 2007, at 5:04 PM, Björn König wrote:
>
>> Karl Fischer schrieb:
>>> Hi
>>> I'm a n00b to freebsd and jails is there away that I can specify
>>> multiple Directories in the jails.conf ?
>>> JAIL_HOME="/data1; /data2" etc.
>>
>> What are you trying to do or what do you expect?
>>
>> A file system hierarchy can only have one root directory. You
>> probably want to play with unionfs. You can read about its concept
>> here: http://people.freebsd.org/~daichi/unionfs/
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UnionFS
>>
>> Regards Björn
>
> Hi
> Basically the Drive that the Jails are hosted on is running out of
> space.
> By adding another mounted Partition I will have more space.
>
> If I add a new Drive to the Machine ...
> mount it under /data2 can I just stop the jails and copy them across
> modify the jails.conf and start it up ? I guess the best procedure
> should be to back them up and restore them there ?
>
> Thanks for the help
> Karl

Hi,

Jails don't absolutely need to have the same root. I'm not sure where you found
your "JAIL_HOME" and "jails.conf" (a script?), but each jail needs a "rootdir",
which can be a path to whatever you want. You can configure this "rootdir" in
/etc/rc.conf. Have a look there.

Depending on how much space your actual jails are using, you may consider
moving all your jails onto a new drive, instead of moving part of them. It is
maybe easier to manage your system this way, although not necessary at all.

Hope this will help you,

Philippe