Martin McCormick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>       I made a startling discovery when using strace to
> trouble-shoot a different problem on a freeBSD5.4 system that has
> been running since last October.  Both it and another new 5.4
> system had a /proc mount point but no process files.

If I remember correctly procfs is off by default
for security reasons.

>       Would an unmounted /proc make the system run slower since
> proc files allow for examination of the operation of the running
> processes?

procfs is for user land applications, the kernel obviously
has other means to examine running processes.

I doubt that mounting procfs (without using it) has any measurable
effect on the system's performance, but if it does, I would assume
that it decreases performance rather than increasing it.

Fabian