Redmond Militante writes:
hi all
this gateway box is an dell optiplex gx150 pIII 930 mhz
with 128 mb of ram, 2 nics
i would like this gateway box to protect our webserver,
our mysql server, and possibly another webserver. our webserver is a dual xeon dell poweredge 1650 with 2 gig of ram,
it gets sometimes more than 100000 hits a day,
and is hooked up to a t100 line.
will my little optiplex gateway box be able to keep up
with a webserver that's this busy?
A PIII 930 can handle a LOT of traffic! All it is doing is shuffling
packets - it should be ample for your needs! And it has plenty RAM too.
i know i at least have to replace the 3com 3c905b card on it,
as i'm pretty sure that that type of nic can't even handle a
t100 connection.
For a DMZ you need 3 NICs. You have an Intel NIC on-board(?), so why not
put 2 more new intel NICS in free PCI slots, and then you will be set.
but - is the computer itself fast enough?
Plenty IMHO.
Regards,
Patrick O'Reilly.