Hi Garrett,

Firstly: thanks for your reply!

Just looking at your config everything appears to be fine. If you don't have PAM enabled or don't want it enabled though you should uncomment this line in your config:

# Change to no to disable PAM authentication
ChallengeResponseAuthentication no

Hmmm, I shall try that, and I am wondering now whether PAM is or isn't enabled. I basically just installed FreeBSD, choosing the 'all' option when it asked for what to include in the installation. As for packages, I only selected cvs-without-gui, and then went ahead with the installation (I chose not to enable SSH through inetd, but I did enable it through the explicit question whether I wanted or not to do so). Now... Does this method perhaps not enable PAM yet?

As for the previous installation: I clearly recall having had a similar (or the very same) issue too, but I just don't remember how I ended up solving it (this was over 1,5 years ago, and I didn't take notes :o ). Come to think of it, I'm not certain anymore now whether this problem (and it's solution) surfaced when first configuring SSHD (as I think was the case), or when setting up rsync synchronisation between the two machines.

Key question here: if the above steps do not already implicitly enable PAM, how can I do so myself? Is this done in the kernel, by changing the config and recompiling and installing it, or can this done somehow through rc.conf (or by enabling/installing/configuring it otherwise)?

Then regarding your further questions:

1) Did you restart your daemon?

Yes, by doing a "kill -s HUP <sshd pid>" (not by doing an "/etc/rc.d/sshd restart" or so). I did check the SSHD process id afterwards, and indeed that was restarted.

2) Are you using the ssh available in the base system or ports?

The base system one. I did already update the ports tree (with the ports-supfile set to all ports), but I haven't rebuilt sshd. Do you think this could make the difference?

Thanks again, I hope this further information (and questions) helps for determining the cause...

Cheers,
Olafo