Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrew Lentvorski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Sent: Saturday, February 24, 2007 6:38 PM
Subject: Could we get the FreeBSD torrent servers back?

Can we please get the FreeBSD torrent tracker and/or server back?

(snip)

Nobody pays the mirrors for their bandwidth.  They are hosting and
paying for the bandwidth out of the goodness of their hearts.

Nothing is stopping you from setting up your own torrent server on a big
fast
pipe that everyone else can use, and not pay you for.

I don't know for sure how other ISP's do it but we definitely use
bandwidth limitations on the servers we host, customers that pay a lot
get a lot, customers that pay less get less, and the freebie servers
get whatever is left over after the paying customers have had their fill.

(snip)

I would suspect if you examined the financing scheme used for the Linux
download servers you would find that it is quite different than FreeBSD.

But isn't the whole point of peer to peer file distribution to *distribute* the bandwidth requirements to the point that the costs involved for each of the individual peers is trivial but the client receiving the file still obtains full speed of a direct download?