On Mar 7, 2007, at 6:57 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
The main application I run is Vim, which I run through Gnome-
Terminal.  I frequently have several copies running
simultaneously.  In general response to Gnome-Terminal
commands is very fast, but sometimes when I try to open a
file with Vim it takes up to 20-30 seconds to load.  The
files are not particularly large (max 300 lines).

During this time, if I try to launch another application in
Gnome (e.g., Opera or another Gnome-Terminal), it will not
come up.  It is as if everything is frozen until finally Vi
loads and opens the file, at which point anything else I have
tried to open works fine.

Is it possible that you're low on RAM, and the system has to swap in a bunch of stuff to let you task-switch to Opera or GT? Is it only the combination of GT & Vim, or do you sometimes encounter this long delay when switching between applications doing other things?

I have of course looked at top when this problem occurs.  CPU
usage is about 2%, and there is no significant memory usage
either.

It would be helpful to know what state the GT & vim processes were in, too.

--
-Chuck