On Sun, Mar 11, 2007 at 12:41:48PM -0600, Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:

> On Mar 11, 2007, at 6:31 AM, Justin Mason wrote:
>

> >for what it's worth, I would suggest *not* adopting this
> >as an anti-spam technique.
> >
> >Sender-address verification is _bad_ as an anti-spam technique, in my
> >opinion.  Basically, there's one obvious response for spammers
> >looking to
> >evade it -- use "real" sender addresses. Where's an easy place to find
> >real addresses? On the list of target addresses they're spamming!
>
> This is a red-herring.  They already do that.  They have been doing
> that for a long time.  And it has nothing to do with sender
> verification.
>
> Sender verification works and works well.

I hate sender verification because it forces me (the sender) to jump
through hoops just for the privilege of sending email to you.  I send
a lot of "courtesy" emails to e.g. port maintainers who have problems
with their ports, and when I encounter someone with such a system I
usually don't bother following up (their port just gets marked broken
in the usual way, and they can follow up on it on their own if they
want to).

Kris