Once I setted up a mailserver with more that 2000 users
with a single freebsd sendmail    in a small machine (1Ghz,512Mb memory,
Freebsd 4.X) one internet connection.. with virtual users,
mailertable... and it
worked for years... by the way... it had  telnetd avaiable...

exactly like me. i do prefer sendmail for mail (+procmail), always provide both telnet, ssh and rsh/rlogin for shell users (and me), always use rsh/rcp when scrambling is not needed, etc. etc.

Have anyone yet "cracked"  the telnet enable machine whose
IP was published  in the list?

i published mine.

months
with all the hackers, crackers, and xxxckers....  hitting it...

if there will be security hole in one of your (or mine) services we use, someone will be able to crack.