I have one of these

CPU: VIA C3 Nehemiah (999.52-MHz 686-class CPU)
  Origin = "CentaurHauls"  Id = 0x691  Stepping = 1
  Features=0x380b035<FPU,DE,TSC,MSR,MTRR,PGE,CMOV,MMX,FXSR,SSE>

http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/mainboards/motherboards.jsp? motherboard_id=81

And 6.2-RELEASE p2

When I set CPUTYPE=c3 in /etc/make.conf the world seemed to build just fine, but (at least) gcc ended up broken. Most compiling attempts after that ended up with gcc reporting an internal error.

Now that I've entered the FreeBSD world and am building everything from source, I would like to take advantage of that by compiling for my system.

Does anyone have a similar system? And what CPUTYPE or local tuning do you recommend?

A dmesg for the system is available at

  http://ntp0.goldmark.org/temp/dmesg

Cheers,

-j