Bram Schoenmakers wrote:

On Thursday 15 March 2007 13:57, Bram Schoenmakers wrote:
I'm using dump(8) for backing up a FreeBSD 4.10 server.
[...]

The problem is that new files appearing in the /usr/ports tree (daily
portsnap cron) do not have the 'nodump' flag set. But despite the
'nodump' flag on the /usr/ports directory, the new files in the tree are
still dumped.

I understood that dump does not enter directories with 'nodump' flag set,
so it shouldn't see the new files inside, right? Or is this behavior
implemented in a newer version than FreeBSD 4.10? I have scanned the CVS
logs for dump, but couldn't find anything relevant.
-h 0 just works fine, that is not the problem.

I may have forgotten one detail in case that was not clear. The level 0 backup does not contain any folder marked with 'nodump' (so it's all OK, despite the -h0 you mentioned). New contents (which have no flags set) in these folders emerge in higher level dumps.

The problem is that dump(8) enters directories with 'nodump' flags set while it shouldn't.
I'll second what Wojciech said: I've been using nodump flags for some time and never seen the symptoms you describe. I have just verified that 5.4 does not do this for me - even with /usr/ports which I too neglect to dump!

However, you are running an ancient, obsolete version (4.10).

Can you try explicitly putting a "-h 0" into your incremental command line and see if that makes a difference? If it still does what you describe, show us the exact command line you are using.

--Alex