For years I am not yet satisfied with ANY console email client, though I
have tried quite a few. My requirement is actually very simple: a email
client must be able to:

    1. do the automatic charset conversion, so if I got an email in
       GB18030 charset, it display correct on my UTF-8 console;

pine does it at least with UTF-8 and ISO
    2. is able to connect to IMAP server, copy sent emails to
       INBOX.Sent folder and let me browse IMAP folders;

pine does it with folder-collections=myfolders #md/Maildir/.[]
in .pinerc

making it compatible with imap (dot before foldernames).

    3. is able to look up contact information (including telephone
       number) by LDAP;

IMHO no