On Mar 23, 2007, at 10:51 PM, Josh Paetzel wrote:

Garrett Cooper wrote:
Daniel Dvo??ák wrote:
Hi all,
out of curiosity, which CPUTYPE setting is appropriate for dual Manchester core Athlon 64 X2 3800+ processor with FreeBSD 6.2 (GCC 3.4.4) ?
Googling throws up nothing useful.
Dan

Try the -march value listed here (athlon64): <http://gentoo- wiki.com/Safe_Cflags#Athlon_64_X2_.28AMD.29>.

-Garrett

That looks suspiciously like linux documentation...and he was asking
about the CPUTYPE setting in make.conf which is (?) FreeBSD specific?

Anyways, there's a sample make.conf in
/usr/share/examples/etc/ that documents the various CPUTYPEs
available.

Thanks,

Josh Paetzel

It is Linux documentation, but considering that a) gcc is the gnu based compiler, b) FreeBSD uses gcc for compiling everything, and c) march => CPUTYPE, that's why I suggested to use that value :). Besides, Gentoo's crazier about compiling (in some respects) compared to FreeBSD.

Don't worry -- I wouldn't (knowingly) lead someone astray :).