David Bear wrote:
I'm very impressed with the ports collection.

I have found there are two was to install a port, through pkg_add or the make.
> I was wondering that if a port were a make, if the compiler would do any optimizations
> on the final executable, therefore giving me a faster/smaller/whatever application.
> Maybe there would be no significant difference.  But, if I have the time to wait, is it worth it?

[Please wrap lines at a reasonable length]

I think the man page for make.conf will tell you what you need to know.
man make.conf
Additional, many ports have customizations that can be done to include/omit
optional parts of the port.  This is a port-by-port situation, and each port
is different.  Usually, looking at the Makefile for the particular port will
tell you what you need to know.

If this doesn't answer your questions, please post again.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies