On 4/5/07, Don O'Neil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I'm getting ready to obsolete one of my old dual P2-800 servers and wanted
to get some suggestions from you all... I'm going to be building a new
server to replace it and need more power, but not a TON more power...
Something along the lines of dual 2.5 GHz processors with 4 GB RAM should be
more than enough.

Any one have some suggestions for lower priced dual processor motherboards
and CPU combos? Athlon, Xeon, P4, whatever, doesn't really matter. I'd like
to hear from some of you who are actually using certain combos in production
and your experiences (good or bad) with them and FreeBSD 6.2.

I've had good luck with multi core processors esp. the Intel 5130's.
They are a x86_64 capable CPU that will give you a SMP system in one
socket.  This should make the machine draw less power, require less
cooling, and hopefully the motherboard will be less expensive than a
multi-socket board.  Not sure where you are located - but I saw an add
for a Southern Californian Fry's that had the an "Intel Core2Duo"
motherboard/cpu combo for pretty cheap (~$190US).  I assume you can
find similar deals on the 'net as well.

Hope this helps!

-pete

--