On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 06:54:06PM -0700, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> b) sudo can run commands directly instead of having to type in su, and
> then run the command from the su'ed shell.

>From man su:

If the optional args are provided on the command line, they are passed
to the login shell of the target login.  Note that all command line
argu- ments before the target login name are processed by su itself,
everything after the target login name gets passed to the login shell.

This lets you run commands without obtaining a full shell.

> Unless you're trying to get root access and fall under point b., and
> this is your own personal machine, there's basically no use in using
> sudo. Besides, one less binary on your machine with those sorts of
> privileges offers less methods of attacking your machine in order to get
> elevated privileges.

I like the logging ability.  If I fatfinger a command line, I can
easily go back and see exactly what I did(in case the output of the
command doesn't make it obvious), and when.

It's all personal preference, though.

> -Garrett

Erik