On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 05:41:07AM +0000, P. U. Kruppa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking for a concept to back up some Win2k workstations on
> a FreeBSD machine. Can this be done and how?

Make a "share" for the disk(s) you want to backup, then use mount_smbfs
to get at the data.

You may not be successful backing up files in use, not sure, but speculating.
This would prevent successful backup of registry and security/user databases.
I'm almost certain you couldn't restore onto a MS filesystem on top of files
in use, so that would make restoring problematic.

A safe concept would be backup data files (as opposed to system files) not in
use with tar.

HTH,

--
Regards,