Hello everyone,
I've had xorg 6.x configured to allow me to switch from US English keyboard to
US English with international support (for accented characters) as follows:

in xorg.conf:
[...]
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "KeyboardThinkpadZ60M"
        Driver      "kbd"
        Option      "XkbRules" "xorg"
        Option      "XkbModel" "inspiron"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "us,us"
        Option      "XkbVariant" ",intl"
        Option      "XKbOptions" "grp:alt_shift_toggle"
EndSection

[...]

and in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/X0-config.keyboard (now under /usr/local/.... )

Rules                    =      "xorg"
Model                    =      "inspiron"
Layout                   =      "us,us"
Variant                  =      ",intl"
MouseKeysCurve           =      0

I use XFCE4.4 as my environment, and both the 'Keyboard Layout Switcher' applet
and the left alt-shift combos would allow me to switch between the 2 modes
flawlessly.

After the upgrade to xorg 7.2, using the same configuration, I noticed several
problems related to the keyboard behaviour, namely:

1) - neither method to change the keyboard layout works.
2) - Several shortcuts that involve the Alt (left) key work either : alt-tab to
cycle through windows, ctrl-alt-arrows to move through desktops.
3) - When launching the application 'skippy' (x11-wm/skippy) or skippy-xd
(x11-wm/skippy-xd), i get :

$ skippy-xd
X Error of failed request:  BadAccess (attempt to access private resource
denied)
  Major opcode of failed request:  33 (X_GrabKey)
  Serial number of failed request:  75

This never used to happen before (notice the X_GrabKey error).

I tried a clean keyboard config (only 1 layout) and the problem with the normal
XFCE shortcuts (problem #2) is solved...

I tried creating a separate keyboard using xorgcfg with the 'intl' layout, but
it didnt do what I wanted - problem #2 was still solved, but I couldnt switch
between layouts (which is rather obvious, as they were defined as different
keyboards...)

If anyone could shed some light on this, it'd be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!
Beto
{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

  Edmund Burke