Chris wrote:
On 04/06/07, Colin Percival <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Tim Daneliuk wrote:
> Old   2 PIII @600Mhz           768K    26M/sec    4.11-stable/SMP
> 50-60 min
> New   Pent D (2 core)@3.2GHz   2G     50M/sec    6.2-stable/SMP
> 40-50 min
> Fast  2 Xeon @3GHz             3G    130M/sec    4.11-stable/SMP
> 8 min
>
> Is the difference in speed
> attributable to 4.11 being faster than 6.2?

Close.  The difference in speed is due to the compiler in 4.11 being
faster than the compiler in 6.2.  FreeBSD uses the gcc compiler, and
between FreeBSD 4.11 and FreeBSD 6.2 that has been upgraded from 2.9
to 3.4.  The general trend each time gcc is upgraded is that it takes
2x longer to compile code, but produces code which is 5% faster (as a
result of "working harder" to find optimizations).

FreeBSD 6.2 is faster than FreeBSD 4.11 for almost everything except
compiling itself. :-)

Colin Percival

What about all the following observations?

slower network performance in 6.x especially worse under DDOS conditions.
slower disk performance especially under QUOTA.

both of these have been confirmed numerous times by different people
so sweeping them under the carpet and saying they simply not true
would be wrong.  My observation of 6.x is that whilst it can exceed
4.11 performance this is only because of more more powerful hardware
and in particular on SMP systems where 4.11 isnt optimised but for UP
and most older hardware the worst performance of post 4.11 is
highlighted greatly.

In thoery shouldnt eg. a 6.2 system using a 3ghz core 2 duo be
multiple times faster then a pentium 3 500 running freebsd 4.11 due to
the more powerful hardware?

Chris

It will be of academic interest to me to see how people respond to this.
Unfortunately - as documented in my original post - the 4.11 CD will
not even boot on this new motherboard for some reason.  Given that, and
that 4.x is no longer actively developed, I am forced to move to 6.x for
my next server ...