Jonathan Horne wrote:
Bob wrote:
The php4 & php5 port apache module used to be default before FBSD 6.0.
Many people before you on this list have wanted the php4/5 apache module
turned back on as default but so far the port maintainer has not done
anything
in any way of justifying removing the apache module from the default setting
or re-enable it as the default.

[snip]

seems like it was removed from the default config of lang/php5 for security
reasons.  many people who do build php5 do not need the apache module, so no
sense building it if its not needed.

cd /usr/ports/lang/php5
make config
(edit your choices)
make deinstall
make reinstall

its just one of those things that you learn to live with after a while.

Everyone seems to be misunderstanding my question. I'm aware of how to build mod_php5. I'm curious about why the default configuration builds php5 as a standalone CLI and CGI rather than as an apache module. I'm assuming that there is some good engineering behind this decision but I'd like to know a little more about that engineering. Is there some advantage to running php as a Fast CGI process?

-- Chris

P.S. Sorry Bob, I've scanned the commit logs for the port and there is no mention of security problems with mod_php5.so. To tell the truth I cannot imagine that there would be any security issues in mod_php5.so that didn't also exist in /usr/local/bin/php-cgi. I could be wrong here though and then I would have the answer to my question.

--
      __o          "All I was doing was trying to get home from work."
    _`\<,_           -Rosa Parks